Sunday, August 22, 2010

V. J. Devereaux

Please give a warm welcom to VJ Devereaux and don't forget to check out the review for Cherry's Jubilee here at SR.

What is your favorite thing about being a romance writer?

Writing the first draft, when it’s new, exciting and I don’t always know what will happen next.

What genres and authors would we find you reading when taking a break from your own writing?
I’m pretty eclectic, I’ll read almost anything, even cereal boxes and skywriting if I get desperate.

Do you have travel when researching your books? If yes, where is the most interesting place you’ve visited?
I used to travel a lot for business, and I’ve also taken vacation trips to Great Britain, Hawaii, on a motorcycle up the California coast, and I’ve been able to use a lot of that in my stories.


When writing your description of your hero/ine what feature do you start with? Eyes, age, hair color, etc? For the guys I usually have a hero in mind, a model or actor whose face just suits the part. The heroines come to me as I write but I try not to have one specific type except for height. Being vertically challenged myself, I know how hard it is for some people to believe I could kick some serious butt. *grins*

Are you a plotter or a pantser?
I’m a pantser, I get claustrophobic. Box, what box, I don’t need no stinkin’ box. I’m the definition of thinking outside the box.


If I was a first time reader of your books, which one would you recommend I start with and why?
Actually, the most current one. That’s not a pitch. Both of my others are ménages―you can’t say I’m not ambitious―a vampire ménage a trios, and a contemporary ménage a quatre. Then I’d try Night Moves and have Cherry’s Jubilee for desert.


What do you hope readers take with them after reading one of your stories?
Characters they love and hate to leave.


How long have you been a writer?
*laughs* I self-published my first novel at eight, did the illustrations and everything. When I say I’ve been writing all my life, I’m not kidding.


How much time did it take from writing your first book to having it published?
Decades. Seriously. Those early books are lost to time but I came back to writing about five or six years ago and Night Moves wasn’t my first book, just the first published.

Did you have any other careers before devoting yourself to being a full-time writer?
Oh, yes, I’m a jack of all trades and master of none. I’ve been a portrait artist, a software consultant, sold vacuum cleaners and even lived homeless for about six months. All fodder for stories.


Do you write under more than one name? Why?
Yes, my erotica is written under my pseudonym of V. J. Devereaux, to differentiate it from my more mainstream work, for no other reason than when a reader picks up of my books they’ll know what they’re getting. A Valerie Douglas novel might be hot and sexy, but a Devereaux novel will curl your hair.


Are any of your characters based on real people or events?
Yes, definitely, and the characters? I’ve been blessed with knowing some truly great men.


How would your friends describe you?
Weird, wild and wonderful. *grins* With severe ADHD.

What’s something fans would find fascinating about you?
I really can’t tell my right hand from my left or north from south unless the sun is shining. Without a GPS I’m totally lost.

What books or authors have most influenced your life?
Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird, she wrote a gentle tale about prejudice and injustice that influenced millions.


How do your family and/or friends feel about your book or writing venture in general?
My husband struggles with the ‘mad writer’, he’s never sure who it is he’ll be dealing with. *laughing* My family doesn’t know what to make of me. But then that’s been true all my life.


Describe to us your typical day –
Up at 5 AM to work as a supervisor. An hour commute there and back. Do my exercise routine after work most days, 1 hour. Sit down at the computer around five after a quick dinner and either write fresh or edit an existing novel. I currently have seventeen completed novels, not including the ones published.


If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything on your road to publication?
That was in the hands of fate.


Where are you from?
I was born in SE Pennsylvania, raised in NE PA, but now I live in the farmlands of Ohio.


How do you come up with the titles?
They just fit. Only Night Moves had to be changed. Cherry’s Jubilee was obvious once I had the whole story in my head. In the new one Rick, the hero, named the book.

Do you work on one project at a time? Or do you multi-task?
Most times I work on one project in a fast blitz, then go back and edit.

When not writing, how do you relax?
Reading, of course. If you don’t read, you can’t write. I still love to draw. Then walking, the outdoors.


Is there anything additional you would like to share with your readers?
None of my stories will ever be the same, but you’ll always be guaranteed a great story, a strong hero and an equally strong heroine.


If you could be a paranormal creature, which one would you be?
Modern vampire – out in daylight, seducing men and sucking on their necks. Can’t beat it.


What’s a guilty pleasure you have?
Driving fast – now on restricted license plates *grins*

What sound drives you crazy?
Loud noise of any kind, thunder, music, shouting…


If you were a tool, what would people use you for?
Shining a light in the darkness.

What’s the perfect romantic evening?
A secluded location by the ocean, candles, dinner, soft music


You can erase one embarrassing experience from your past. What will it be?
Truthfully, all those experiences made me who I am, so, none of them.

If you came with a warning label, what would it say?
Contents under pressure (I have a temper. Consider yourself warned.)


A biography has been written about you. What do you think the title would be?
A Cockeyed Optimist or Are You Insane?

What’s for dinner tonight?
Steak, mushrooms, salad, margaritas. I’m good.


What is sexier boxer or briefs?
Boxers *wicked evil grin* you can get under them easier.


Who’s more fun, bad boys or perfect gentlemen and why?
Neither, give me the guy with experience, the one who has been through the wars, real or personal, the one with quirks, courage and a code of honor. He might masquerade as either, but that’s who he is at heart.


Where is the craziest place you’ve ever had sex? Or where is the craziest place you made your characters have sex?
Well, covering a heroine in chocolate (Cherry’s Jubilee) in front of a whole party while three hot men dip fruit in it, is pretty hard to top. But I’ll try.


If you were a superhero, what special power would you have?
Flight. I’m terrified of heights but I’d kill to fly.


What’s your favorite curse word?
Boogers. Drives my mother insane.


If you could have three wishes granted, what would you wish for?
A book on the NY Times best seller list, a voice in Congress, and a chance to make a difference.


If you were stranded on a desert island, what three things would be the most essential for you?
A laptop with a solar array and a satellite card, a hammock and a hot guy. Seriously.


If you could be a shapeshifter, what form would you take and why?
Back to the flying thing… an eagle, or a wolf, with all the sharpened senses.


What’s number one on your list of things you hope to do before you die?
*laughing* I keep making new lists, but I’d like to go to space. Just to look at the little blue marble we call Earth.


What is your favorite candy bar?
Little Debbie’s Nutty Bars, I’m absolutely mad about them.

*Please share with us your future projects and upcoming releases. I’ve got a series on demons I’m hoping my publisher takes. An epic fantasy called A Coming Storm and a classic fantasy called Song of the Faery Queen that has some interesting twists and turns, and a mystery called The Last Resort that has some great characters in it. All are looking for homes.



Please share any links you would like listed in the Interview. Website, Myspace, blog, facebook, yahoo group etc.
Website: http://www.vjdevereauxbooks.com/ or http://www.valeriedouglasbooks.com/
Facebook: V. J. Devereaux
Blog: http://www.vjdouglasbooks.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

  1. Just FYI, my publisher did take the first in that Demon series...

    ReplyDelete