Saturday, February 25, 2012

Brita Addams




Thank you so much for having me at Seriously Reviewed today. I'm on this site often, checking out books I'd like to read, so it's nice being your guest.



When writing your description of your hero/ine what feature do you start with? Eyes, age, hair color, etc?  I seem to always start with the eyes. That's the first thing I notice about a person, so it's a natural that I would start with smoldering, blue (or whatever color) eyes.



Is there anything special you do to get in the mood to write? Truly, I just get up. I spend a lot of time thinking about what comes next while I'm waking up or before I go to sleep. I just grab a cup of coffee and let the games begin.



If I was a first time reader of your books, which one would you recommend I start with and why? That's an interesting question. It would really depend upon your reading preference. I have some het stories that are historical and heavily into erotic BDSM. The Sapphire Club series tells the story of members of the fictional sex club during the Regency period. The last in the series, Chocolate, Tea, and the Duchess is a ménage.



I have another ménage, Splendid Captivity, which is another historical and is in ebook, print and soon in audio. I also have a m/m vampire historical with BDSM elements.



Then I have my contemporary gay fiction, Free Me, and its sequel, In His Arms. It has light BDSM and is the story of two guys finding love with each other. I also have A Minute After Midnight, two guys discovering love—again.



I have two sensual historical stories – Her Timeless Obsession, which I wrote under the name, Tina Ordone and The Rogue's Salvation, about two indulged people who come together after a tragedy and find love together.



Last and maybe one of my very favorites, is An Evening at the Starlight, which has no romance at all, but tells the story of a romance that means a lot to the teller. It's based on a real story, slightly modified, from my family history.



What do you hope readers take with them after reading one of your stories? I hope my characters will resonate with the reader, even in historicals. Human nature is what it is and feelings are universal. I hope my stories stay with people and they know that I put my heart and soul into each one.



How do you deal with bad book reviews? I just did a blog post about this subject. I've gotten my share of bad reviews and at first, they really got to me. Then I started reading reviews on Goodreads and Amazon and saw them in a whole new light.



Reviews are opinions, I have them, you have them, everyone does. More and more reviews are trending toward grading a book on what the reviewer wishes the book was and not one what it really was—it was too short, the price (especially if they didn't like the book,) the ending wasn't what the person wanted, the story didn't have enough or had too much internal or external conflict for their tastes, they bought the book and didn't know it was an historical, etc, etc.



As an author, I think that anyone, including myself, who reviews books, should grade it on the story that was written and not the one they wish was written.



These days, I don't pay much attention to the bad reviews, satisfying myself that I'm a reader too and there are books I don't like. The good ones I eat up like a great piece of pie. LOL





What song would best describe your life? All my ex's live in Texas. Sad, but true.



What is the last thing you do before turning off the lights at bedtime? Take off my glasses.



Cat’s or dog’s? I have a grouchy, old orange tabby cat named Stormee and a two year old puppy named Fiona. Sooo, I guess I'm both, at least for those two.



What’s for dinner tonight? My husband made a yummy big, fat juicy burgers, onion rings, and French fries.



If you could have three wishes granted, what would you wish for? 1) I wish that my daughter could bend her arms and legs (she has a disability called Arthrogryposis); 2) I wish I was twenty years younger; 3) I wish I'd met my husband ten years sooner.



What’s number one on your list of things you hope to do before you die? I want to go to England for a nice long holiday. Years ago, I went to Scotland, but never went to the one place I'd truly love to go. Since so many of my stories take place in England, visiting there would definitely trump all the research I do. J





Is there anything additional you would like to share with your readers? I love to write and I try to write stories that people will appreciate. I hope my readers will enjoy the new stories I write but will also enjoy my older stuff.



*Please share with us your future projects and upcoming releases. My newest release, Demands of the Heart, tells the story of Richard Fanshaw and Victoria Bramhill. It starts in 1807, when they are young and just falling in love. They are innocent, naïve, and can see nothing but each other.



Victoria's father enters into a contract with a wealthy nobleman—his debts would be paid in exchange for his daughter's hand in marriage. The deal destroys Victoria and Richard's lives.



Years later, Victoria is widowed and Richard is cynical. They meet by chance and that meeting sets Richard's plan for revenge in motion. The one thing he doesn't count on is the demands of the heart.



This is actually the first story I ever wrote, though it's gone through several rewrites and some heavy editing. I truly love the story and twists and turns it takes.



I have a male/male historical called For Men Like Us submitted and at this writing, I'm waiting to hear from the publisher. I'm reworking a het that's ages old and then I will dive into writing a male/male story set in old Hollywood. I'm excited to get back to it, as I've done tons of research and old Hollywood is something that I have a huge interest in.



I hope readers will enjoy Demands. It's truly a book very close to my heart. You can purchase Demands of the Heart at Noble Romance.



Email address: britaaddams@gmail.com



Twitter: @britaaddams





20% off To celebrate the release of Demand's of the Heart, Noble Romance Publishing is offering my entire backlist at 20% off. This is for sales on the Noble Romance Publishing site only and only my titles.


There's no limit. Buy one book, or all seven, you'll get 20% off your purchase. The eligible titles are: Serenity's Dream; Lord Decadent's Obsession; Chocolate, Tea, and the Duchess; The Rogue's Salvation; A Minute After Midnight; An Evening at the Starlight, and the book I wrote under the name Tina Ordone, Her Timeless Obsession.


The price you'll see is the reduced price.

The sale will run from midnight, Pacific time, February 20 to 11:59 pm Pacific time, March 2.

This is a backlist sale, so it doesn't include Demands of the Heart.

I have several contests running during the book tour, ending at midnight, March 2.

Contest #1:

DAILY WINNER I'll choose a daily winner from the commenters. I'll will be giving away an ebook from my backlist at each stop. The only exclusion is Demands of the Heart. One book per commenter, please.

Contest #2:
Demands of the Heart T-Shirt Contest
If you answer the three questions correctly, you could be one of four winners. The prize will be a T-Shirt with the cover of the book on it. The shirt also says that the cover is model, Jimmy Thomas's 1500th cover. There will be four winners, each winning a T-Shirt and other swag.

All answers are found on Brita's website.

Please do NOT put the answers in the comments section of this blog or on Brita's site. Email them to Brita, with T-Shirt Answers in the subject line.

  1. What book did I write under another name?
  2. Who is the character, Lucien Damrill, patterned after?
  3. Describe the signature brandy snifter at the Sapphire Club.
Contest #3: GRAND PRIZE
This contest is about Demands of the Heart. Of course, you're under no obligation to buy or read the book, but if you choose to, this contest is for you.

I've put three questions up on my website, all relating to my book, Demands of the Heart. Answer the questions and EMAIL me, with the answers, at britaaddams@gmail.com  Be sure to put GRAND PRIZE in the subject line.

You must have all three questions answered correctly to be entered into the drawing.

The Grand Prize is the entire Sapphire Club series in print, signed by the author. I'll also include some other signed swag.


Good luck and I hope to hear from you soon.

2 comments:

  1. Great interview.Had some really interesting question.I enjoyed reading your answers Brita
    elaing8(at)netscape(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thoroughly enjoyed reading the interview Brita. Loved those questions and answers. I hope you enjoyed the hamburger, fries and onion rings, that sounds sooooo good.
    luvfuzzzeeefaces at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete