Monday, January 30, 2012

Keta Diablo

Dark Night of the Moon is a paranormal Wolf Shifter and the sequel to Holding on to Heaven.

Creed Gatlin flees to Arizona intent on eradicating the haunting memories of his brother’s wife. Brand Gatlin, presumed dead, resurfaces after a long absence and with his re-emergence, the destinies of those he loves is altered forever.

In a land rife with war and danger, Sage must travel to the village of her husband’s People. There, she is reunited with Crooked Back, the ancient healer. On the long trek back to Full Circle, devious plots are underfoot and peril lurks around every corner for Sage, Lauren and Peter Pa.

Dark Night of the Moon will take you on an unforgettable journey of war, violence, overwhelming grief, and finally, love.
 

What is your favorite thing about being a romance writer?

Most definitely the freedom that comes with working at home. That's not to say authors don't have to be disciplined. If we don't write, we don't sell. I love the idea of not having to out in the cold or the rain if I don't want to. Heck, I don't have to even get dressed. I do, however, have to make my daily word count. If I want to take a break or go for a walk, I can do that too. It's a great profession.
What genres and authors would we find you reading when taking a break from your own writing?
Many different authors and books. Right now I'm reading Sea Witch by Helen Hollick, a wonderful writer. This is a swashbuckling pirate book! I'm also into YA these days like everyone else but it has to really catch my interest right away. It seems like many of the YA have the same plot, i.e. girl goes away to boarding school or high school and strange things happen or she meets a boy with paranormal abilities. I'd like to see something really different. Oh, and I loved Hunger Games! I just finished Daughter of Smoke and Bone and enjoyed really that. I tend to like the paranormal books with characters based on old myths or folklore, Norse, Wales, Scotland, that setting. If all else fails, I select a good old historical, not Regency, but something by Helen Kirkman or Medieval era.
Are you a plotter or a pantser?

I guess both, but not on paper. I don't do outlines or note cards. I've tried both and they doesn't work for me. Maybe an idea will germinate and I'll either forget about the idea or it nags me. If its still there two days later, I start thinking about characters, story line and where this could be headed. Again, at this point I don't write anything down; it's all in my head. Then I wait and see how my thoughts and ideas progress. Once I have it mostly written in my head, I'll jot down some notes about scenes or character traits. Several of my books have come from dreams and two from people-watching.
What do you hope readers take with them after reading one of your stories?
I hope while they're reading they have an outlet for escape. We all want readers to be engrossed in our books not struggle through them. When they're done with the book, it's wonderful if they're still thinking about the characters or the book long after they put it down. That's a high aspiration for authors and the highest compliment. We read to escape our busy or mundane lives. I think we want to visit another place, another time and look into the lives of others. In a way, reading a book is similar to voyeurism because we're opening doors to people's lives and peering in.
Describe to us you typical day
Oh, boy, there is no typical day for me. I'm a night owl and was long before I became a writer. It's my natural bio-rhythm. I write a lot at night, sleep in the morning and begin writing in the afternoon. I know, it's a bad habit, but seems natural to me. I'm not a morning person, and I'm sure my brain will agree. I'm sharpest at night, and Good knows, I need my wits about me when I write. I can't have distractions, music or television. I like it quiet so I can think.
How do you come up with the titles?
I'm asked this often. I never choose a title without a story in my head. I might not have written the book yet on paper, but it's up here (Keta raps her noggin). About halfway through the story the title usually comes to me. Almost always the title comes from an incident or a scene in the book. With Dark Night of the Moon, I thought of the title when tragedy came to the Native American people. I don't have information that any tribe or band used that term, but it sounds to me like something they might have thought--when something bad happens, they would say the Dark Night came or we have seen the Dark Night of the Moon. Titles have never been difficult for me, but I admit, some of mine are unusual.

What song would best describe your life?Highway to Hell - no, just kidding; that's the first song that came to mind. Hmmm, wonder why?
If you could be a paranormal creature, which one would you be?Creature? If I could have a paranormal ability it would definitely be time travel. I'd love to visit (visit being the key word here) early Scotland and Ireland. lol -- I want to see how those men really looked in kilts.
What’s the perfect romantic evening?Dinner and a movie and after that I say, "That's personal!" lol.
If you came with a warning label, what would it say?
Mouthy broad at times and "No Snorebucket Found Here." I keep things lively.
Who’s more fun, bad boys or perfect gentlemen and why?
You've got to be kidding me! Bad, double bad boys. I'm not even sure I've ever gone out with a perfect gentleman. If I did it was a blind date, and an ONLY ONCE blind date.
If you could have three wishes granted, what would you wish for?Abolish all nuclear and chemical weapons, and thereby fear.
No kids go to bed hungry . . . EVER.
Set aside a very special place in Hell for those who abuse animals.
 
*Please share with us your future projects and upcoming releases.

Thank you so much for asking. I've started the first book in the Lone Star Series about the Bannister brothers -- five, hunky, hot Bannister brothers. The setting is mid 1800's Texas Ranger, of course. I do have the titles for three of the books, but that's because I have the stories outlined in my head. I've really enjoyed writing the first book, and I'm hoping for five eventually. These are erotic romance cowboy style -- when men were men and the women who loved them were NOT cupcakes. Stay tuned!
Please share any links you would like listed in the Interview. Website, Myspace, blog, facebook, yahoo group etc.

Keta's Bio:
Keta is a multi-published author of paranormal and historical romance and gay fiction. In 2009, her erotic romance Decadent Deceptions was a finalist in the RWA Molly contest. In 2010, Keta's entry Phoenix Rising finaled in the Scarlet Boa contest and in 2011 Keta's acclaimed paranormal shifter, Where The Rain is Made, was nominated by Authors After Dark for a Bookie Awardand by Deep In The Heart of Romance for Best Romance of the Year.
Many of her books, including her gay fiction series CROSSROADS, have won numerous awards: Top Reviewer's Pick, Recommended Read and Best Book of the Month.
If you'd like to know more about Keta and her latest releases, she haunts the Net here:
FOLLOW KETA'S KEEP: http://ketaskeep.blogspot.com

2 comments:

  1. Good morning Seriously Reviewed and friends!

    It's a cold, gray morning in the Midwest. Thanks so much for stopping by today to leave a comment. I hope you liked the interview. Didn't she do a FAB job with the questions?

    This is one of my all-time review sites on the web and now you know why.

    Good luck to everyone in the contest, and again, your support is so appreciated. Hope you'll take a minute to follow my blog here, http://ketaskeep.blogspot.com

    Have a lovely week! Keta

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview! I've found the same thing when I pick up YA, Keta and it drives me a little crazy because there are so many fabulous possibilities out there...perhaps you'll need to write one :)

    Stay Warm!

    Stephanie Beck
    www.stephaniebeck.net

    ReplyDelete