Thursday, February 3, 2011

Kayden McLeod

 If I was a first time reader of your books, which one would you recommend I start with and why?


With the exception of a short story here and there, my books are all part of my Coven Series, which breaks down into separate vampire Covens; the Jerichos, Foxworths and Cornwalls being the main ones. I would highly recommend Deadly Fetishes, published by Eternal Press. It is the book with the most aspects of my world. Also, it’s the beginning of the Cornwall Coven Trilogy, the next two books coming out by Silver Publishing in January 2011 are Carnal Magnetism and Demonic Pandemonium.

How much time did it take from writing your first book to having it published?

A long time, which to be honest, is a good thing to have happened to me. I’d written quite a bit of my Coven series before getting publishing, giving me the time to expand on my world and watch it grow. Even though Jezebel’s Article and Deadly Fetishes were the first of my stories to get published, I’d written the entire Foxworth Coven Series, consisting of five books, along with Carnal Magnetism in the Cornwall Coven Trilogy, coming out January 15th 2011 before I had signed the contracts.

What books or authors have most influenced your life?

Sherrilyn Kenyon was definitely a key-factor. The depth of her world inspired me in ways I never thought possible. I became hypnotized by the way she brought to life so many ideas and characters in such vivid dimension. Laurell K Hamilton and her journey into publishing gave me the courage to hold fast to my desire in writing primarily first person POV. Every time I was rejected for that choice, I remembered her, along with Kelly Armstrong, who like me, is also Canadian. Not only that, but these three authors all write in multi-genre. They have threads of romance, horror, science fiction and fantasy. That was what I always wanted to write; stories that could never be placed in a single flavour, because their stories aren’t told that way. The paranormal is brought to life not only with a romantic relationship, but with real problems and enemies that can’t just be written off. Even the villain has a story to tell, and sometimes, it can’t be just black and white, sweet and romantic. It is a colourful, endless globe with more layers that require a demanding range of emotion and sensations to display that same world to the reader.

How do you come up with the titles?

On the occasion, I am lucky enough to have one pop into my head and stick, to embody the story in its entirety. But that is a very rare occurrence. With titles, the thesaurus is my best friend. I try to figure out the key elements of a novel or short story I want to focus on, and come up with a phrase or word that I find applicable. Most times, it doesn’t sound right, but it gives me a starting point. I keep a list, adding words, changing the feel of them, until I find something that fits.

Do you work on one project at a time? Or do you multi-task?

I multitask far too much, which is why I don’t come out with nearly as many new releases as I should. My muse always comes at me with new ideas, while I am still writing something else. When she persists, I take a few weeks off my current project to write up the first half of the book, lose that thread, and then go on to something else, until it returns. This happens so much I have more partially written books than I care to count, along with a pile of unpublished ones that need some fine tuning.

*Please share with us your future projects and upcoming releases.

There are so many! I have three pending releases coming up over the next two months. More information on all of them can be found on my website, or on my Silver Publishing author page. The Cornwall Coven continues with Book Two, Carnal Magnetism (January 15th 2011) and Book Three, Demonic Pandemonium (January 29th 2011) both from Silver Publishing. As well, on February 12th 2011, I have a time-travel Valentine’s Day short story, the Martyr of the Flaminian Gate, coming out in a collection with two other excellent authors, Ashlynn Monroe and J.T. Seate. The anthology is called Captured…The Heart and Soul.

I recently began the process of rewriting the next segment in the Coven Series, the Foxworths. It is a five book paranormal romance series. The first book is called Death of Innocence. The introduction of this series and some of the characters is already out with Moongypsy Press, entitled Deep Water Legends.


Please share any links you would like listed in the Interview. Website, Myspace, blog, facebook, yahoo group etc.

The Cornwall Coven Trilogy Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlRYYJaT6jg

Silver Publishing Author Page: http://silverpublishing.info/index/typefilter/book_authors/book_authors_id/51

Website: http://kaydenmcleod.com/

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1848048830

Twitter: http://twitter.com/KaydenMcLeod

My-Space: http://www.myspace.com/kaydenmcleod

Do you want a free access pass into my world? Download my free erotica series, Sara’s Story here: http://kaydenmcleod.com/freebies.php

What’s for dinner tonight?

Roasted rosemary and garlic chicken, rice pilaf and steamed broccoli.

Who’s more fun, bad boys or perfect gentlemen and why?

The grey area. I’ve had both, and found I prefer the middle ground. The ultimate bad boy is short term, while I find the perfect gentlemen a bit lacklustre. Give me the scorching feeling of spontaneity with a feral edge of the bad boy, while still maintaining the respect and emotion of the gentlemen.

Where is the craziest place you’ve ever had sex? Or where is the craziest place you made your characters have sex?

For me *grin* I think I’ll leave that to your imagination. As for my characters, there are two that pop up in mind. In Deadly Fetishes, Marcus and Kelly are half-dozing on the couch, with their friends all around them, while watching television after a hard day. Marcus is fantasying about her, about being tied up and at her mercy. When Kelly falls asleep, she gets sucked into his daydream. She finds herself in red lingerie and heels, with Marcus bound on a bed before her. The second would appear in Demonic Pandemonium, when Kevlar and Pandora take the motorcycle to the park, ending up having sex while speeding through the back roads, and Kev pops a wheel...and Pandora.

If you were stranded on a desert island, what three things would be the most essential for you?

My fiancé, my cat and my dog. Because each in their own way have given me the strength and reassurance to move past my comfort zones, enabling me to do things that I wouldn’t have been able to do without them. They’ve gotten me through rough times in my life, just by their unfailing, unconditional love and constant presence.


What’s number one on your list of things you hope to do before you die?

Hit the New York Times best sellers list.

No comments:

Post a Comment