Sunday, November 22, 2009

Sommer Marsden

This week we are pleased to introduce our featured author, Sommer Marsden! Her book, Bittersweet was a clincher. It was loved so much by the reviewer that we knew we needed to get to know Ms Marsden a little better. So please sit back and enjoy the interview :)

Are you a plotter or a pantser?
Sommer-I try and try to be a plotter and...not so much. I am embracing my pantser nature. Mostly because the people in my books are very real to me, have their own agendas, and are in general as stubborn as I am. So plotting is useless. I end up plotting and then they go left when I think they'll go right. Or die. Or get married. Or you know, turn into a bird and flying away (just kidding).

Instead of plotting, I do this~ I wrap up a scene and scribble some notes. "Grant takes her in the closet..." And then I trick myself into feeling like I am in control of the book when, in fact, I am merely taking dictation.

Do you write under more than one name? Why?
Sommer-I write under multiple names. Most of my work is Sommer but I do some mainstream and kids' fiction and poetry as myself (my 'original self') and I do other erotica work as some other folks. The multiple erotica names were for fun and for variety or for specific reasons or even editorial requests. But keeping my erotic work separate from the YA fiction etc was initially because my kids were small when I started and some of what I write is hot, hot, hot! I plan to one day integrate all the me's, but we'll see...

What’s something fans would find fascinating about you?
Sommer-There are fans!? Where are they? :) Nothing. I am not fascinating. I am a mom and a wife and I have a fat dog. I do know the words to almost every song I've ever heard because though I cannot carry a tune in a bucket, I have a memory for lyrics, good, bad and ugly. Is that fascinating? And I craft. I am a cozy crafter and I think a lot of folks cannot integrate that with the me they are used to reading.

Describe to us your typical day
Sommer-Chaos.
Um, I get up, I feed the children, I feed the dog, I make coffee with one eye half open, I check emails. I say goodbye to children and then make them come back and kiss me again. I answer email, do some promo work and start writing. Then I either a) fall ass backwards into writing and that eats up most of my day or b) I cannot sit still and I am up and down running errands, writing a bit, doing laundry, writing a bit, walking the dog, writing a bit. It's never predictable. If I am excited about a project it's a toss-up between me putting my head down and banging out 10K or so in a day or I get ants in my pants and can only write it in short bursts.

About 3 p.m. the whole motley crew descends on the house like a swarm of locusts demanding love and attention and food and all that crazy stuff and then the evening is me and the man. Sofa time, wine time, talk time, TV time, um...possibly dirty time.

I pass out at midnight and get up at six-thirty and do it all again.

Do you work on one project at a time? Or do you multi-task?
Sommer-I am a multi-tasker to a fault. Except on that very rarest of occasions when the seventh moon of ohwhowouldbelieveit has entered the cosmic lineup and I experience project monogamy. Which I just did! I just finished a werewolf book that I actually threw everything else aside to work on. It was just...shocking.


You can erase one embarrassing experience from your past. What will it be?
Sommer-I don't know. I've repressed that memory.

If you came with a warning label, what would it say?
Sommer-WARNING: CONTENTS UNDER PRESSURE MAY EXPLODE. USE WITH CAUTION OR FILL WITH WINE


A biography has been written about you. What do you think the title would be?
Sommer-Spastic Girl: A True Story

What’s for dinner tonight?
Sommer-Whatever the man is fixing. He's off this week. The ball (or in this case, chicken) is in his court.

What is sexier boxer or briefs?
Sommer-On me or him? (Boxers on both counts)


Sommer has Man In The Middle coming out in 2010 from eXcessica. She also has a few solo projects in the works that do not have definitive dates on them yet and a multi-author project under her hat. She's polishing her werewolf (novel, that is) and doing final edits on an urban fantasy. She thinks that is it. But won't swear to it.


Please share any links you would like listed in the Interview. Website, Myspace, blog, facebook, yahoo group etc.
blog: http://smutgirl.blogspot.com
www.myspace.com/sommermarsden
site: www.freewebs.com/sommermarsden
twitter: www.twitter.com/sommer_marsden

4 comments:

  1. This is exactly what I love about Sommer Marsden:

    *Then I either a) fall ass backwards into writing and that eats up most of my day or b) I cannot sit still and I am up and down running errands, writing a bit, doing laundry, writing a bit, walking the dog, writing a bit. It's never predictable.*

    She's NEVER predictable!

    XXX,
    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you RR and SR and SI and all those letters! You rock. I'm thrilled to be interviewed but even more thrilled that you enjoyed my books.

    And thanks for commenting, AT. You are so pretty in pink up there. :)

    xoxo
    sommer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha — a fun interview that had me laughing out loud. :) Thanks for sharing Sommer, and thank you to Seriously Interviewed for hosting!

    Xoxo,
    Emerald

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, yay! thank you for coming, Emerald. You are v. sweet :)
    xoxo
    s

    ReplyDelete